Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Reception desk may be sending wrong message to pet owners

Before I start working with a practice, I like to call the receptionist. I pose as a pet owner – often calling about a variety of situations. 

These phone “mystery shops” are often an eye opener for the practice.  I have made more than 500 calls – and see a lot of similarities in what I hear.  With the exception of ONE -- MAYBE TWO PRACTICES (YES – ONE MAYBE TWO IN 500) the bottom line is that, for whatever reason, practices have forgotten how to listen to pet owners.  

In most cases, when I ask about the practice, I get a disjointed list of services and equipment that the practice has to offer.  Typically something like:

“What do you want to know?  We have four vets – two are male and one is female.  Dr. Smith has been here for 5 years, but Dr. Jones is leaving next month to set up her own practice.  We do surgery – but only on Mondays and Wednesdays.  We’re open 6 days – drop off starts at 8 a.m. – but not on Thursdays and Fridays.  We’re open Saturdays but only until 1:00.  We do dental, x-rays and have a really good orthopedic surgeon.  We have boarding and grooming.  Not sure what else you want to know.”

How can you ENGAGE the caller when you don’t know a thing about them?
  • The receptionist doesn’t know if I have a dog, cat, horse or iguana.
  • What if my pet has a serious condition or health problem?
  • What if I have an exotic pet (which I do!)?
  • What if I live too far away?
  • What if yours if not the best practice for me?
Many veterinary websites say that the practice cares about pets and their owners.  If you care, then why didn’t you ask my name?  Or my pet’s name?  Or why didn’t you get my email address so you can stay in touch?

How can a practice ENGAGE the caller?  Ask questions.  Listen.  It will SAY MORE than you know.

To schedule your FREE one-hour marketing consultation, contact Linda Wasche at LindaW@LWmarketworks.com or 248-253-0300.

Do you have a particular marketing question or dilemma that you would to see addressed in  a future blog?  Email LindaW@LWmarketworks.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment